TeacherVision offers ten quick guidelines for teachers for the beginning of a new school year, as well as the important messages they convey to new students:
1. Be prepared. This conveys that you are in control, and that you know what you are doing.
2. Motivate kids. School is exciting!
3. Establish routines and schedules. School is safe and predictable.
4. Establish classroom rules. I will learn self control.
5. Orient students to school/room. I am comfortable and belong here.
6. Preview the curriculum. I will learn new things.
7. Let students decide and choose. We are all in this together.
8. Include a literacy experience. Reading is wonderful!
9. Acknowledge every student. I am special!
10. Review and assign easy work. I can succeed!